KAWELA PLANTATION HOMES FOR SALE
The Kawela district of Molokai is located in the heart of the Island, an area rich in Hawaiian history. Kawela district was an Ahupuaaî- an old Hawaiian description of land ownership extending from the ocean to the mountains. Archaeological research indicates that Kawela was inhabited as early as the 15th century. Along the coast are numerous Hawaiian fishponds and many archaeological sites inland. High on a cliff of the central ridge of Kawela Gu1ch is a Pu’uhonua where those about to be captured in battle took refuge. Hawaiian petroglyphs are found throughout Kawela as well as a complete residential complex. In the 1850’s Kawela became part of King Kamehameha V’s ranch on Molokai the forerunner of the present day Molokai Ranch. Kawela was used as grazing land for cattle until acquired by former Senator Wadsworth Yee and his limited partnership, Kawela Plantation Development Associates (KPDA).
Current Kawela Plantation Homes Listings:
More Information About Kawela Plantation
Where is the Kawela Plantation Located?
Jeremy Stice is the Author of the Maui Real Estate Guidebook.
Sign up to our newsletter to recieve updates.